So... what was "wren's wasp" and became "wren's attempt at walden" is now "pilgrim at lake michigan." There are a few reasons--one being annoying domain stuff, and the other being a fantastic walk I took this afternoon along Lake Michigan.
Today, March 25, the weather hit 71 degrees Fahrenheit, and I walked along the beach barefoot, even while the icebergs still claimed the water. Since the winter was so bitterly cold, and to walk along the beach would have required a ski mask, parka, and snow shoes, walking the beach is now a spring treat.
As I was walked, I thought about Annie Dillard's essays in "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" and "Teaching a Stone to Talk," and I realized that Lake Michigan is my Tinker Creek. It is the place to which I continually return, and, regardless of wherever I move, it is the place to which I will always return. And so, I am a pilgrim at Lake Michigan, and these are my words.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
ice·berg
Pronunciation[ahys-burg] –noun
1. a large floating mass of ice, detached from a glacier and carried out to sea.
2. Informal. an emotionally cold person.
3. Australian Informal. a person who swims or surfs regularly in winter.
—Idiom
4. tip of the iceberg, the first hint or revelation of something larger or more complex: The new evidence in the case is just the tip of the iceberg.
[Origin: 1765–75; half Anglicization, half adoption of D ijsberg ice mountain; c. G Eisberg, Sw isberg]
------------
Bibliography for this comment:
American Psychological Association (APA):
iceberg. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved March 25, 2007, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/iceberg
Chicago Manual Style (CMS):
iceberg. Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/iceberg (accessed: March 25, 2007).
Modern Language Association (MLA):
"iceberg." Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. 25 Mar. 2007. Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/iceberg.
Traitor. You can't use APA, CMS, and MLA in a citation! Especially since we have already figured out that APA can't hold a candle to MLA's discussion of the apostrophe.
I like definition #3.
Post a Comment