Perhaps the best part of being back in school is being given a spring break. For grad students, I think it should be paraphrased as, “extended time to work on your projects.” I think some colleges actually grant their students “reading days,” but I’ve never been privileged enough to go to such a cushy school.
It’s not even that I procrastinate, and that’s why I need the extra time for my projects. I am just that busy and swamped. It’s the weirdest thing.
Here’s my to-do list for spring break:
1. Write 20+ pages of scenes from Tambo.
2. Read three books about Latin American history.
3. Grade 50 history essays.
4. Do my taxes.
AND: I get to do all of these things in New Mexico. My parents recently decided that they will live mostly in New Mexico for the next three years. As the responsible oldest child, I feel strongly that it is my duty to make sure my parents are moving to an okay location (ha!). My dad is already a licensed builder in New Mexico, and he will be building houses for a school near an Indian reservation. It’s a big change for them, and I’m excited to go see their new environment.
Not to mention: New Mexico, for all its high elevation chill, has sun. Pittsburgh does not. As long as I can get out during tomorrow’s winter storm, I’ll be all set.
My mom: “So will you be taking a novel—or writing one?”
Me: “Both.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hope you enjoy your "spring break"...New Mexico sounds nice, though...it sounds WARM!! So, with your parents going to NM does it mean my chances of seeing you are almost non-existent??
I hope you can get caught up on your work! Praying for safe travels and that you will have some fun!
Amy Schams
Post a Comment