August 23, 2008

10 Things I Love About Pittsburgh

This weekend hosts all the “welcome back to school” parties that we attended a year ago as scared incoming students. Some friends of mine and I have been reminiscing… so here is my top ten list:

10. Driving without a map: a sure way to get lost. And certain to get stuck on a hill in a stick shift.

9. The Cathedral of Learning: This is Hogwarts, also known as the building where all my classes are held. I have yet to meet Nearly Headless Nick, but Moaning Myrtle and I are good friends.

8. Coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel onto the Fort Pitt Bridge at night: Pittsburgh pops out of the mountain before you and appears enticing.

7. Schenley Park: There’s a creek down in the ravine where I walk, just so I can get muddy.

6. The Quiet Storm: a vegetarian restaurant across town with fantastic chili and curry dishes (separate dishes, not the same one).

5. The Te Café, also known as the Tea Place: it’s the neighborhood Cheers.

4. My balcony: where I watch my cat roll in the dirt and then scare me to pieces when she jumps onto the brick wall—three stories above the earth.

3. My classmates: these talented folks are so stellar and hospitable… writing and class and life in general is made more wonderful because of them.

2. The Open Door: or, rather, the people I meet through this church. A-maz-ing.

1. Studying writing: my bookshelves are expanding, my brain wrinkling, and my pen exercising. Little-by-precious-little, the pen, the computer, and I gain more confidence. It’s the best part about it all.

No comments: