December 20, 2008

Almost the last post before Christmas

Tomorrow my brother and sister board a plane in Michigan, and I’ll board one here in Pennsylvania. We’ll convene in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where our parents will pick us up and take us to their new house in Nowheresville. My dad is so excited—all his little ducklings under one roof for a whole week! (Really, it’s quite endearing.)

It’s been a long time since the five of us have been in the same place without distraction—no extended family members, no significant others, no running out to meet a friend for coffee. We’re going to be stuck together—and I think we’re all excited, and a little nervous too. There’s nothing like people who share your blood to get your blood boiling.

It seems that most of the people I talk to feel the same way about seeing family this Christmas—a little apprehensive, but a little excited too. The holidays sometimes bring up crazy emotions.
In teaching yoga, I’m learning to coach my students through “riding out the wave” of emotion that comes from holding a pose. Our bodies store our emotions, and stretching our muscles often releases pockets of those emotions. In the same vein, relationships of people who have known us forever also store pockets of emotions. Being with them releases emotions we often avoid. In my life, I’m learning how to “ride the wave” of the emotions that relationships bring too—good or bad waves.

That said, I’m expecting mostly good waves this week. I love my family. All of us have changed a lot over the past couple of years, and it’s fun to re-get-to-know each other. My parents and I talk often on the phone, and it will be lovely to chat over morning coffee rather than morning airwaves. My sister and I, complete opposites, balance each other out well and generally unite with spontaneous dance parties. (If we include the Beatles, the BeeGees, and Fleetwood Mac in the music mix, Mom joins us too.) And my exuberant brother entertains us all, regaling us with stories and ideas we would never have thought of on our own.

I’m excited, too, about the change of scenery (high altitude, dry NM) and the change of pace. Coconut the cat and I have been a bit tired of each other’s company. She watches my every move as I pack, knowing that something is up. Tonight I’m taking her to hang out with my friend CS for the week, and I’m sure she’ll enjoy the plethora of windows in his apartment. I’m excited to trade talking to a ball of fur for talking with the four people I’ve known longer than anyone else on the planet.

I’m even going to make it into an official vacation: the computer is staying at home. Any writing I do will be pen and ink. I’ll have my books, too. But no MFA pressure. None, nada, zilch. Merry Christmas, Renee—a week with family and no school. Yipee!

No comments: