June 26, 2009

A Really Good Reason for Not Posting

I have been blog-silent for awhile now. There are multiple reasons for this:

1. I am writing two books this summer. One for someone else; one for myself.

2. I took a real vacation where no work came with me. No internet. No phone. Just camping with some of my bestest friends on the planet. And then I took another vacation to visit my parents.

3. I fell in love. Apparently, when one falls in love, one enters a black hole of communication. I have seen other people go through this—but never experienced it myself. It’s really rather fascinating.


Since number three is the more interesting of these excuses, I suppose I should elaborate.

See, last summer I went to Albany, New York, to teach at this camp for smart kids, and I met a philosophy professor—whom I started calling the Existentialist when I referenced him to my friends. Existentialist talked about interesting things and practiced yoga and used to be Buddhist—and he was intrigued by my blend of yoga and Christianity. Nevertheless, Existentialist and I did not plan on remaining friends after summer camp (who ever does remain friends after summer camp?), but we did end up e-mailing every once in awhile.

And then, oddly, the e-mails became more frequent and more interesting. In particular, we e-mailed a LOT about the sci-fi show Battlestar Galactica and theology/philosophy. I was incredibly attracted to the way Existentialist thought, and the way in which we could correspond about TV and theology/philosophy.

But there was a major problem with my crush: Existentialist did not believe in God.

Until he did. Somewhere, over the course of our e-mails, Existentialist divulged his desire for capital T truth and faith in something. In talking about theology through the language of television plot-lines and characters, and then through reading pretty much any recommendation I suggested, Existentialist became convinced that God existed and that he wanted God in his life. On Easter, he went to church for the first time as someone who believed in God.

Of course, that made him all the more attractive to me. It also meant that any restraint or control I had on falling in love with him fell away. So it was convenient, then, when he told me that as he fell in love with God, Existentialist realized that he was also falling in love with me.

At this point, perhaps I should stop calling him Existentialist and start calling him by his real name: Kylie.

Naturally we continued to correspond. Then Kylie came to visit Pittsburgh in early May, and moved here in June, whereupon I dragged him around the country with me on vacation. The picture below is from New Mexico, where he met my parents. Ha! Those of you who know my dad can imagine how that trip went (really well).

And that’s the story—abbreviated, for sure, but it contains all the essentials. I am part of a couple, and that feels weird. But nice.


P.S. Kylie says this post should be about 20 pages longer. Can you imagine an e-mail correspondence between a philosopher and a writer? It's phenomenally verbose.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Soooo cute.

Kylie said...

Boo!

Heather said...

I love it. Of course I think I knew most of it already. :)

Mel said...

:) I love that you shared this and I got to catch up on this part of your life story. It's amazing how God was/is working

pamela said...

Nice stated. Yes, you have a boyfriend. I like him.

Bethany said...

Of course, I should have checked your blog! Very fun.

Carol-Lee Joy said...

Hey Cuz! Wow. Some things have been happenin' over there:)

suz said...

just catching up on your blog. perhaps we could catch up properly one of these days? I hope to get to Pittsburgh for a Sabbath weekend in August to see family. Will you be around to grab lunch, coffee, go for a walk?