November 08, 2007

A Mystery

Lately, I have noticed a weird phenomenon: the speakers attached to my computer (not the computer speakers, but the little attachment kind) pick up a local radio station. 96.9 is faint, barely perceptible. But if you lean close to the speaker, you can discern "Closing Time" or "Missionary Man" or the DJ out of the static. Why does this happen?

Here are the facts: 96.9 plays
-when the speakers are on
-whether the volume is all the way up or all the way down
-when the speakers are connected to the computer
-when the computer is connected to the printer
-whether the printer is on or off
-whether or not the computer is connected to the internet

96.9 does not play
-when the speakers are off (duh)
-when the speakers are not connected to the computer
-when the computer is not connected to the printer

I'm accepting theories at any time.

4 comments:

pamela said...

When the speaker, computer, and printer are connected, they are serving as an antenna. For whatever reason, this combination is tuning (making it so that your new 'radio' will pick out just one signal) to 96.9 fm. Very bizarre that this exact combo works, but, I guess, why not? Here's a website that seems to do a decent job of explaining things and has an interesting experiment or two to try...

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/radio3.htm

Josué Greenman said...

Ghosts!

jumper said...

I was going to write a highly technical response based purely on unlogic, but obviously Pamela's info would clearly ruin that...so I'll defer.

wren said...

Well, I could write my own interesting idea. Obviously, I was thinking that they were some sort of antenna. But I was also thinking about how the signal from 96.9 was channeling an alien signal of sorts. This alien channel, under the guise of being a Pittsburgh radio station, was particularly atuned to printers, as they have been trying to get the word out. Unfortunately, the aliens cannot speak, so even though they have control over a radio station, they cannot communicate with it: ergo, the printers. At midnight on the next Friday the 13th, each printer-computer-speaker antenna will turn on automatically, and the alien message will print via the alien radio.

Pretty logical, no?