If you pay attention to either the news or major television series, you probably know about the Writer's Strike involving the writers of major television series. In November, the Writer's Guild of America went on strike over the issue of New Media (in short: transmission of tv shows via the Internet). The writers want to see more of the profits from new media in their paychecks.
As a writer, this makes sense to me. Writers, strike away! I enjoy the New Media aspect of their shows. Because ABC streamlines their television shows over the Internet, I have no need for a VCR to record the shows I miss. I just wait a day and watch it online with "minimal commercials." It's great. Writers should get paid for this. (I'm simplifying the whole thing here, but essentially, this is what's happening.)
As a tv viewer, this makes me sad. Watching television at night has become a way for me to wind down. Since I write and read all day long, it is difficult for me to do more of the same at the end of the day--even if it's reading for pleasure. Television is visual and aural, simple and entertaining. When I'm cooking, the sound of familiar voices in the background is nice. It's not an obsession or an addiction--I can go without if an opportunity to eat with actual people arises--but it's a nicety. It's a nice little false reality that makes me forget about Latin American History or my writer's block. (And sometimes helps me put those into context.)
Since the strike started in November, the networks are now starting to run out of previously written scripts. Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives both ran this week without "Next Week" previews at the end. And, frankly, now that I know that Lynnette's family survived the tornado destruction, I don't mind if I never see another episode. That's okay. (Yes, I did just admit to watching Desperate Housewives!) I really only watch it for the Lynnette plotline anyway, and have been wanting to stop. But I know the characters and it's a nice, brainless hour in the midst of a brainy world.
In the midst of the Writer's Strike, another thing has happened: I entered the second semester of my six semester MFA program. Here's where the rubber hits the road and the boot camp of writing begins. I need to write as if I breathe ink.
Somewhere in the past couple of years, my journaling has dwindled and I'm out of constant-writing-practice. I need to start again. And so, the Writer's Strike has offered me an opportunity: They want me to write their new episodes. (ha! just joking!)
But seriously, I can turn off the TV. :) duh.
Instead of the television, I've been making myself a cup of tea, turning on a cd, and freewriting for the length of the cd. I've started writing by pen and paper again, as typing on the computer seems a bit intimidating for some reason. I think the typed words look so formal and definite, whereas if I write it by hand, I trick my inner critic into shutting up.
So this is why the Writer's Strike is good for me: it's forcing me to write.
[Besides, if they get this new media stuff figured out now, then by the time I'm a screenwriter for a major television show, I won't have to strike. :) (Again, just joking. Screenwriting is not in my future... but if I can write, we'll be able to see what else is!)]
And besides: LOST starts again at the end of January, so all is not lost. Ha! Bad pun. Sorry. I just couldn't resist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment