July 10, 2008

On reading a novel.

At a used book sale last week, I picked up a novel. Over the last year or two, novel-reading has become more of a treat than chocolate. Since I’m studying nonfiction and I feel incredibly behind my classmates in common-creative-nonfiction knowledge, I usually feel compelled to read nonfiction—but it isn’t nearly as satisfying as fiction.

When I read a novel, I’m gone. Absorbed. Transported. Somewhere else. Some people call this escapism, which is said with a sneer. I disagree—it’s more like traveling mentally. There’s something exotic about curling up with a novel about India or Mars or Middle Earth and meeting ents or IT or monsoons. Even something as nonexotic as a baseball game can be enthralling in a book. (And, honestly, via fiction is the only way I’m going to be enthralled at a baseball game anyway—whether I’m reading about the game or reading during the game: same difference.) Friends of mine in college actually remarked that I seemed happier when I had a novel in progress.

I haven’t read a novel since January. (That’s not true—I did finish one about baseball. That’s where I figured out that Pittsburgh’s baseball team is named the Pirates. Now I won’t get them confused with the Steelers. Ha! I’m almost joking.)

So you might be able to imagine my delight when I discovered that my summer teaching gig allows for time with novels—both mentally and physically. I could open one, read it, and not feel guilty for not reading nonfiction. M.M. Kaye’s Shadow of the Moon and I have been fantastic friends for the past week. Kaye and I have had brief, unproductive encounters before—she’s quite dense and history-heavy at times. But this time… I pushed through the first one hundred pages and was as captured in place as the heroine: Winter.

And that’s where this story ends: there is no epiphany about how Winter’s life parallels mine—because it doesn’t. I’m not an Indian heiress, literally or figuratively, so you can now consider this the anti-climax of this post. I enjoyed a novel. I thought the world should know. M.M. Kaye is not on the historical level of James Michener, nor is she of the page-turning equivalent of Mary Higgins Clark, and her characters are not as heart-breakingly complex as Margaret Mitchell’s Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler. But she can weave a good yarn. She must be for eight hundred pages of suspense, complicated with colonial tension. That was a good summer read.

I’m just sorry it’s over. Instead of reading tonight, I find myself blogging—which isn’t all bad.

Any other good novel suggestions?
I think I’m off for an M.M. Kaye adventure in Zanzibar.

3 comments:

Adolfo said...

Renee,

This summer I've finished Atticus by Ron Hansen and Strangers and Sojourners by Michael D. O'Brien. I'd recommend both. Both novels are written from a Christian, Catholic world view. Atticus is, by far, the shortest of the two, and it's a page turner with great character development. The latter is a historical fiction book set in a Canadian settlement in the middle of nowhere. The character development is solid and the themes are deeper. The first novel is a story of redemption, while the second one is a story of conversion - the slow, painful, intellectual conversion some of us endure through a life time.

Anonymous said...

My fav novel of all time is Dara Horn's In the Image. I read it about once a year, and every time I do I'll get to certain paragraphs, read them, and then have to look out the bus window for a while because it was so heart breakingly beautiful.

Bethany said...

That was my favourite M.M. Kaye novel of the few I read. In fact, I have it, and gave it a second read not that long ago. Happy Reading.