Sometimes the wheels in your head simply have to fall off the tracks. It’s as simple as that. Human beings were not created to do do do do do do do do do do do do.
On Monday morning, on my way to seven hours of class, three of which contained a presentation worth half of my course grade, I felt nervous energy coursing through my veins like too much caffeine. But I hadn’t had too much coffee...
Usually Monday mornings are Monday mornings—dreary and dull, but like Stevie Nicks, you look so fine. This was no regular Monday morning. I had toiled and worried away my weekend like it was the middle of the week.
I made a pact with myself: “Renee, you get through this day—you use the nervous energy to pull of a good presentation, and you can take tomorrow off. You need to take a day off.”
In the middle of the semester, a day off for me means no reading or writing. And no yoga research. What to do?
So on my day off (the presentation went very well—thank you for asking), I:
-Attended a yoga class led by one of the most creative instructors I know.
-Went mountain biking with a friend. What goes flying down must come back up with aching quads.
-Watched an old episode of Battlestar Galactica.
-Took a nap in the sun.
-Met a new friend for afternoon tea… and was challenged to know things a bit differently. To literally let the wheels in my head fall off the tracks more often.
-Experimented with tofu in dinner (I’ve made better).
-Watched House.
-Wrote this blog.
A day like this is traditionally known as Sabbath rest… I should do it more often…
Tomorrow it’s back to the drawing board with some refreshed energy…
September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's interesting how God ordains the Sabbath rest, Jesus comes along and tells us that the Sabbath is made for US (not the other way around) and still we're like "yeah, I'll take a day off once a semester or so." And we thinks that's a great way of keeping the Sabbath.
But, um, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a little more routine than that. Like, erm, weekly?
(None of this, of course, being directed at you particularly. It's just that we could all use more Rest than we get. And we (read: me) think that this somehow makes us stronger or better or whatever).
I've now hijacked your blog post by apparently writing my own post in the comments. Sorry!
Edit: I meant to write that we (me) think that by not Resting, it makes us better/stronger. Yeah.
Post a Comment