Today the dentist tried to sell me the smile I've always wanted. Perfect superstar teeth. Straight, even, and so white they might glow in the dark like Ross's. The hygienist called them "porcelain."
Now, I generally have amusing interactions with dentists--the Bolivian dentist who told me I had a jumping cavity disease, my family dentist who sent me home with theology books and orders to schedule a "book appointment," as cases in point. This one ranks up there with one of the best worst things a dentist could do. Point out my flaws.
I haven't been to a dentist since I moved to Pittsburgh. I was certain that I would have cavities, so I'd been putting it off. But today the dentist said that my teeth were boring, and in lieu of some of the other experiences I had had, I thought that his dental appointment was too... until they tried to sell me a new smile.
Here's how it works: the hygienist sits down next to you with a pamphlet. "We're starting a new program," she says. "This is your smile today--" she opens the pamphlet to reveal a picture of me and my smile that she took twenty minutes before. "And this," she flips it open even more, "could be your smile tomorrow."
It's the same smile. A little whiter. Not straighter. Just there.
"All those things that have always annoyed you about your smile, you can get rid of," she says. Nothing has ever annoyed me about my smile, I think.
"So the two major changes that I see in your smile are that these canines are uneven, and they could be evened out. And the teeny gap between your two front teeth would be filled in."
WHAT?! Not only are you trying to sell me a new smile, but you're also going to tell me what's wrong with the one I have??? I never knew my "canines were uneven." And if you think that's a gap, I wish you could have see the gap I had before braces--you could fit a center tooth in that gap. (And after I found out that the gap between the two front teeth was a sexy thing somewhere in Africa, I almost regretted having braces.)
So I ask, "Is the purpose of this cosmetic?"
"For you," she says, "it would be. For other people whose teeth are decaying, it helps to protect their teeth. We're running a special right now." She quotes an outrageous price.
Sorry. Your "new program" is not my style of cosmetic, and now I know what is wrong with my smile. Wow. Wow wow wow. As if I weren't self-conscious enough before.
Are all dentists doing this?
January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I have an appointment next week. I'll let you know. My reaction to people like that is to want to slap them upside the head, so hopefully the dentist I am going to see is not so stupid as to tell me that my smile is lacking.
There is something unique and personal about every smile! Why would we want them to all look the same?! Where YOUR smile proudly; it is part of who you are!
Not all are! But the dentist I went to today, also my first visit since coming to Pittsburgh, just did x-rays & the exam, no cleaning. That's a WHOLE other appointment. What's with the dentists around here?!?
I know!!! That's SO weird. I had the x-rays and exam on Monday, and then they made the appointment for the cleaning. So weird.
I actually had a good dentist experience here in PGH. He was VERY thorough. Found all the problems with my smile BUT he explained why they were problems- IE- "I'm concerned about this because it could cause TMJ which causes headaches, etc.. and the only real treatment for TMJ is prevention." I felt like he took the time to explain every detail with me instead of rushing me through and I was so impressed that I almost wrote a thank you note. (But I think I brought down the average age of his patients by at least 50 years.)
oh! I forgot to add- my dentist is in Mt Lebo so it's a drive BUT he also gives out cards for free x-rays and exam on the first visit. (That's why we picked him actually-lol!)
Oh yea. Haven't you learned yet? You make money by a) selling people something they need and if they don't need it then b) make them need it!
I got braces when I was but a tween and in retrospect probably wouldn't have gotten them if it was my choice (depending on how well the orthodontist convinced me it was "not just cosmetic", or how messed up my grill actually was (I'd have to go look at some old before pictures)). But I do remember when I got them off at 15 vehemently rejecting his suggestion that they remove a big calcium spot on my front tooth. It provides character and uniqueness!
I go to the University Dental Health Services (up by the Pete). Love them. No, the dental students don't practice on you!
And I think you have a beautiful smile, so don't let the salesmanship get to you. :-)
~Autumn
Post a Comment