Tell her there is only one space after a period. See? It's hard. My thumb automatically types two. If I concentrate very hard, I can type a . with only one space. The conscious brain required to not type that extra space, however, is unfathomable to me!
When I first took "Keyboarding" in high school, my school still had typewriters. Two spaces was proper for typing on a typewriter. For "Keyboarding II," the keyboarding lab had been miraculously transformed into a computer lab, and at that time two spaces was still proper, according to Mr. H. In college, no one cared--one could use either one or two spaces post-period. Since both had been in use, both were proper. Now, because of computers, however, one space is more aesthetically and mechanically proper. (Every one space in this paragraph includes one space deleted!)
So, officially, according to the AP (Associated Press) Stylebook, we now type one space. My poor right thumb... It's like learning to roller skate again after roller blading for years. You know you can do it--it's just hard to remember how.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This makes me laugh out loud. I had to make the switch in high school, so my (right) thumb went through that pain a while ago. But... my advisor still believes in using 2 spaces--says it is easier to read even if it is not proper. So, when he edits / rewrites my work, I have to go through and take out all of the spaces. When we write papers together or I edit his work, I have to go through and add a space to everything I have done to make it uniform with his work. Not to mention the times he randomly uses 3 spaces...
Post a Comment