September 10, 2007

The rise of another hero...

If I were an Iranian English literature professor, I would want to be Azar Nafisi. So, maybe I'll just be her American equivalent... or something of the sort.

Last spring I read Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran, which is a fabulous account of teaching English literature in Iran during the Iranian Revolution, which started in 1979. She incorporates politics, literature, and life while describing the private class she taught in her home. Through the book, the powerful theme of how reading literature shapes our paradigm rang true with my own experience.

In small and large ways, my own experience while teaching English literature and writing in Bolivia parallels Nafisi's experience in Iran. In fact, this is one of the book ideas I'm currently considering for my MFA manuscript. Experiences like teaching "The Declaration of Independence" during the same week President Goni resigned under political and physical pressure provide good fodder for such a book.

All this to say: one of my favorite authors right now is Azar Nafisi. And guess what? In two weeks, she's coming to Pitt.

http://www.pittsburghlectures.org/interior.php?pageID=135

What happens to a dream deferred? I don't think it does dry up like a raisin in the sun, Mr. Hughes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you were married to Billy Pilgrim (SlaughterHouse 5) your name would actually be Renee Pilgrim.
PS Nice pics.

wren said...

Ooo, and my initials would be "RAP." That's a good word. Yes. I want to be married to a Vonnegut character. :)

Josué Greenman said...

Renee, I know this isn't the place to post this...but have you seen my blog lately? :P http://elgauchitoarg.blogspot.com/2007/09/boys-will-be-boys.html