September 30, 2007

A Blitz Post

Sometimes not posting to your blog for a busy week means that when you come back to it, you have too much that you want to write, and don’t know where to start. There are many analogies for this: like not journaling for a week, not seeing a good friend for a long time, or not praying for week… somehow, you have to catch up. Each of the following would have made great blog entries by themselves, and now they all get lumped together.

-Wolfy, a friend from Taylor, came to Pittsburgh for his first concert in this city and put me on the guest list. So, some friends and I got to flip our hair at the ticket booth and say, “We’re with the band.” To which the skeptical, scary bald man at the desk replied, “a likely story.” Since it was a true story, we were able to hang with the band for an hour before the show. Wolfy has a new full-length album coming out soon!

-On the same day that the President of Iran was controversially speaking in New York, Azar Nafisi was speaking here in Pittsburgh. My favorite part of her lecture was the idea of a Republic of Imagination bridging East and West. In this information-crazed time, fiction and imagination are muy importante.

-My friends Heather and Clay came and made the hike up the hill and stairs to my flat! Hooray!

-I had to give a presentation on a piece of critical literature entitled, “The Flow of Blood in Medieval Norwich.” Don’t you wish you were there?

-“House” started its new season with a mixed identity plotline spun off of last year’s accident involving Taylor University students. It was one of those allusions that I wish I hadn’t known.

-Eighty essays written from the perspective of an indigenous Latin American during the Conquest of the 1500’s sit on my kitchen table, waiting to be graded. So far, I’m halfway. My favorite one so far is the student who attached a copy of someone else’s works cited page to her paper. The MLA Hotline is back in business.

-Last night I dreamt that I was kidnapped by a crazy lady who couldn’t drive the truck and trailer she hijacked from me. As if I could drive it. What was I doing with a trailer anyway? And why was I in my sleeping bag? I love dreams.

-One of my yoga instructors reminds me of Professor Trelawney from Hogwarts... How's that for a fun mental image?

-My fantasy football team, The White Dragons, are #3 of 16. Anyone else catch the irony in that?

1 comment:

Josué Greenman said...

I'm doing a paper on how silver from Potosi affected the Spanish economy. I need primary sources and have a few (5?). I still need a few more from the Spanish side things though...I mostly have sources talking about Potosi itself.